Old April 8th 04, 08:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Gatwick to Heathrow

David FitzGerald wrote:
I have an unholy set of flights booked from the US which culminates
in a transfer from Gatwick Airport to Heathrow Airport for the
final leg of my journey. I only have 3 hours between landing and
take off of the next flight (need 40 minutes check in) and I assume
it will take me 40 minutes to get out of Gatwick. This leaves me
with about an hour and a half to get from LGW to LHR.

Can anyone advise me as to the best way to do this? I'm thinking
taxi, but those Checker Cabs guys at G
Gatwick always have a laugh with prices. Last time it cost me £80
from LGW home to Islington! Any viable public transport options?

This looks like a non-starter. I would have thought 40 minutes from
arrival of the plane to clearing immigration and baggage was very
optimistic for a transatlantic flight. And the flight might be late.
If it's an early morning arrival, you would run into the peak queues on
the M25.

A few questions which are relevant:

1. Are you a British or EU passport holder? (reduces immigration time at
Gatwick)
2. What day of the week and time are you scheduled to land at Gatwick?
3. What's the destination of your flight from Heathrow? (I'm thinking:
is it *really* necessary to fly from Heathrow?)
4. Would you be able to cope with your baggage on public transport,
including walking up and down stairs?
--
Richard J.