Old July 18th 03, 06:50 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Nick Finnigan Nick Finnigan is offline

Default the quest for safety

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
"Nick Finnigan" wrote in message

The existence of multi-lane roads pretty much supports being
allowed to get too close to stop if someone moves over suddenly.

You should not follow so close that you can't stop if the vehicle in front
does. The fact that people do is irrelevant: it is safer not to, because
the vehicle in front might suffer, for example, a sudden tyre failure, just
at the point someone is overtaking you in the other lane.

If the vehicles are in different lanes, that's a different matter.

Different lanes (on a multi-lane road) is what I was refering to.

The
coach was in Lane 1 of 2 - are HGVs allowed in lane 2 of a 2-lane dual
carriageway? I guess they are.

Yes.

But what Plod said could be taken as
implying that the HGV was in the same lane and unable to stop.

Maybe, but pictures of the damage suggest an offset collision,
rather than both vehicles being in the same lane before.

Like I said, I was thinking out loud.

I was just adding some more possibilities.