Old July 25th 13, 02:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default The Tube in the eighties

Richard wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 06:32:50 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

[http://spitalfieldslife.com/2013/07/...-on-the-tube/]

They are good - did you look at both 80s sets plus his more recent
one? I'm quite surprised that he managed to get people to agree to
some of those shots but perhaps the photographer is exceptionally
charming?

I have now, they're excellent. I don't know how he does it! The
whole site is interesting.

It certainly is a world away in terms of how the network looks but I
suspect that human behaviour has barely changed. Fashion yes,
behaviour no.

I think you're right. I just remember the relative emptiness of
trains in the middle of the day and at night, from my first years back
in London. That and the dinginess of the trains in those days... The
best trains back then are now tin cans, or quietly overlooking
Shoreditch.

Actually, I reckon that the best tube trains in the 1980s were the 1973 TS,
and they still are, though I preferred the original seating.