Old August 24th 13, 03:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
kenw[_2_] kenw[_2_] is offline

Default National Rail tickets beyond the Freedom Pass boundary

On 2013-08-21 20:15:42 +0000, Peter Smyth said:

Thanks, guys

So for the avoidance of doubt…

To get the cheapest advance fare online while taking advantage of the
Freedom Pass, we should avoid trains which do NOT stop somewhere in or
near the boundary of Z6.

Doesn't affect our regular Portsmouth trips on Southern, since they all
stop at E Croydon. But on other routes, the advice must be to check the
timetable for stops of the service concerned.

Just a shame the online booking systems don't understand BZ5.

Ken

kenw wrote:

Q! Are we – and the Southern conductor – within thr rules, or was the
SWT interpretation correct?

Q2 Assuming we are correct, what are the "magic words" which we could
quote to avoid a PF?

TIA folks – and BTW I will post in the next few days a detailed
response doc re cashless bus ticketing.

By a strict reading of the rules, the conductor was correct, a ticket
from Surbiton is only valid on trains that stop at Surbiton, while a
ticket from Boundary Zone 6 woule be valid on any train.

In practice, I suspect the vast majority of staff would have accepted
it without a second glance, particularly as the fare from Boundary Zone
6 is exactly the same as the fare from Surbiton.

Peter Smyth