Old April 9th 04, 08:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Brimstone Brimstone is offline

Default Disabled 'to sue for Tube access'

"SJCWHUK" wrote in message
OK for starters you can add Stockholm to the list of tube networks with
disabled access.

But is it a tube?

The London Underground is described as a tube because the deep level trains
run through a 12ft od pipe into which the train has been designed to fit
using as much of the space as possible. The Met and the District run in
shallow "cut and cover" (mostly) tunnels with the two roads side by side. I
suspect the Stockholm and others bear more resemblance to the latter that to
the tube railways proper.

The primary concern with allowing wheelchairs onto the Underground,
specifically the tube lines, is getting them out in the event of an
emergency. The interconnecting doors between cars aren't wide enough nor is
the door in the front of the train allowing emergency access to the track
permitting emergency evacuation along the track to the next station.

On the Met and District evacuation can be done by brining another train to a
stop on the adjacent road and creating a bridge between the two for people
to walk across using one door on each train. This is still unsafe for
wheelchair users since there remains the possibility of falling between the
trains onto the track.

In that scenario the wheelchair user presents a real danger to other
passengers as well as to themselves.

Before anyone asks, I have had to use a wheelchair and I still have
difficulty walking, I have also been LT traincrew so can see the problem
from both sides.