Old September 5th 13, 03:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Matthew Dickinson Matthew Dickinson is offline

Default SEFT rollout

On Thursday, 5 September 2013 11:10:13 UTC+1, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 01:12:31 +0100, Matthew Dickinson

wrote:

A map of the SEFT rollout is now available on page 2 of

http://www.itso.org.uk/wp-content/up...s-Sep-2013.pdf

The maximum projected extent is shown to be: Bournemouth, Salisbury,

Bedwyn, Swindon, Banbury, Northampton, Bedford, Peterborough, Kings

Lynn and Norwich.

Interesting map and phasing of work. Seems to have bent and twisted

what was the old Network South East area - beyond Bournemouth is

excluded despite being SWT territory while we have possible extensions

to Swindon and Norwich.

A shame they didn't bother to explain what Base, Enhanced and Optimal

actually means and what the decision making criteria are for

triggering subsequent phases beyond the base system. It also looks a

tiny bit daft to have phases that run beyond Cambridge and Colchester

but which do cover the connecting lines between Ely, Norwich, Ipswich

and Cambridge. Given Greater Anglia are within the scope of SEFT

anyway and they run the key services over these lines what would be

the issue other than the usual ones of cost etc? Just looks a bit odd

to me.

The base scheme looks like the mechanism to turn Chiltern, South

Eastern and FCC "smart" given the lack of ITSO obligations in those

franchises.

Also interesting to see the 2 year extension for ITSO card processing

for London. I wonder how much money has been spent on the current

contract to process virtually no cards given there is negligible or no

ITSO card acceptance on the TfL system at the moment (happy to be

corrected)? Clearly you have to do testing etc but the article reads

as if an existing service is being continued.

--

Paul C

ENCTS cards are ITSO cards that are valid on TfL buses. I'm not sure if they are being used on bus readers yet.

The Marston Vale and Abbey Flyer lines are odd omissions to the SEFT plans, and Heathrow Oyster acceptance is, I presume, an error.