Old September 12th 13, 11:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default Barclays Cycle Hire update

In message of Thu, 12 Sep
2013 00:56:55 in uk.transport.london, Paul Corfield
writes
On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 21:23:22 +0100, Walter Briscoe
wrote:

I've just had an email with that subject:
"Following customer feedback, we are upgrading Barclays Cycle Hire so
that you can set up separate bike access periods for any additional
keys, hire a bike from the docking station terminal using the payment
card registered to your account and view 12 months of transaction
history online. ..."

[snip]

I've never considered the scheme to be particularly attractive for me.
I know my way round by bus and tube and using a Boris bike rarely
makes any sense to me.

I have read far too many stories and tweets about the lousy
availability of bikes and space to return bikes that it's put me right
off. What is the point of a scheme that means you ride for 10 minutes
but take over 30 mins to find a space to return your bike and you end
up away from your destination? I mean why on earth bother with that
sort of uncertainty?

It IS bad, but my experience does not mirror your fear.

The idea of a bike hire service is theoretically attractive but
London's execution just seems dire. The scale of subsidy is also
nightmarish for what is a niche service both in terms of its role in
the transport network and also the limited demographic that seems to
use the scheme. Spend the tens of millions on improving bus services
instead.

I can't argue with that either. It may act as a catalyst for increasing
low cycling rates in London. For that it will need to go a lot further.

I use it to speed walking. Given the southbound Moorgate station bus
stop is indefinitely shut, a bike from Fore Street to Bank of England
Museum is faster than walking to Bank Station. I check before leaving
home to estimate the chance of not finding a bike or a slot.
It is OK in the early morning, rubbish in the evening.

I would suggest one key and a daily service, 3UKP for the key and 2UKP
per diem for journeys of less than 30 minutes. (You can add 15' free if
you can't find a slot.) I've never had to pay for a longer journey. If
you don't like it after trying it, the cost has not been enormous. I am
paying 45UKP annually, rather than 90UKP until Dec 27.

I can do Moorgate to the southern end of Blackfriars Bridge in 15'.
(Fore Street - Poured Lines.)
The alternative of Underground to Farringdon and a bus does not work
while Crossrail is disrupting Farringdon Street. The 100 often seizes on
Ludgate Hill. Alternatives other than a taxi/car take about 30'.
I've just had a chat with a Chantal at the CSC.
It seems the station software is also being improved.
It can be hard to find an available station at an unavailable station.
They will also improve casual access - using a credit card as a key.
No mention of using an Oyster Card.
--
Walter Briscoe