Old September 14th 13, 08:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Colin McKenzie Colin McKenzie is offline

Default Barclays Cycle Hire update

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 09:34:51 +0100, Neil Williams
wrote:
Paul Corfield wrote:
I've never considered the scheme to be particularly attractive for me.
I know my way round by bus and tube and using a Boris bike rarely
makes any sense to me.

I use them because it means I can get some exercise in my journey where
it's a bit far to walk. These journeys would tend otherwise to be by
Tube.

It's fairly good value as a way to reduce overcrowding (or stop it
increasing) on zone 1 tube - though probably not large enough scale to
make much difference. It should be quicker than the tube for any journey
involving a change or a significant walk at either end.

I find the app essential for planning the journey based on bike and
space availability, though.

If the software is being improved, maybe they could set it up to give a
financial or time bonus for taking the first bike at a site, or leaving
one if the site is empty.

Colin McKenzie

--
Cycling in the UK is about as safe as walking, and helmets don't make it
safer. Make an informed choice - visit www.cyclehelmets.org.