Old September 15th 13, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Kentish Town

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 22:18:59 +0100, "
wrote:

On 15/09/2013 18:43, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 10:02:10 -0700 (PDT), e27002
wrote:

Is there a case for re-opening Kentish Town South Station? It is on a
well foot trafficked section of Kentish Town Road.

Change of location: Kentish Town Station is an interesting location.
The TfL LU side is not bad. OTOH the Thameslink side is Spartan.
Some protection from the weather on the footbridge and better décor
and facilities on the platforms would be very welcome.

I read recently that LU station reopenings are now prohibitively
expensive because of the need to provide step free access from street
to platform / train.

Therefore any notion of reopening York Way or Kentish Town South can
be dismissed on cost grounds.

I thought that they were seriously looking at the prospect of
reactivating York Way.

I can't see where the tens of millions of pounds would come from to
reconstruct it so it met modern standards. I suspect that any
opportunity to secure S106 payments from nearby development has been
lost. I agree there the scale of investment north of Kings Cross
could generate very considerable extra patronage but it seems all the
money for rail has gone into the south end of the development.

The other obvious development would be adding a York Way / Kings Cross
North station on the North London line but again where's the money
going to come from and how robust is the Overground timetable to cope
with an additional stop. Looking at a satellite view of the site
doesn't offer a lot of space as the NLL passenger tracks are the
middle tracks out of 4 at the point. This implies an island platform
and there does not seen to be enough space to create a sufficiently
wide platform unless you want to shorten the freight loops and slew
the main tracks to create the space.

Looking at the map, it does look like a new NLL station there would be
useful to serve the northern parts of the Kings Cross developments. Isn't
there a gap between the pairs of tracks there that could fit in a platform?
https://maps.google.com/?q=51.541128...32&hl=en&gl=uk