Old April 9th 04, 10:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
SJCWHUK SJCWHUK is offline

Default Disabled 'to sue for Tube access'

This subject line is getting a little heated! :-))

LUL are required by law to give access to Disabled passengers under this new
Act.

I assume the Act gave a time period for this to be done.

LUL probably received no extra funding to pay for this large scale work.

Therefore it hasn't been done.

Do we really expect it would be any other way? :-))

Shall we now go onto slam door trains?

Steve

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...
On 8 Apr 2004 18:25:35 -0700, (Jeremy Barker)
wrote:

David Hansen wrote in message

. ..
On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 07:17:38 +0100 someone who may be "John Rowland"
wrote this:-

London Underground (LU) has been warned that it could be sued by

disabled
people if it does not improve access for them by October.
By then the part of the Disability Discrimination Act which governs

access
to transport will come into force.

A lawyer's money making scheme. The Act requires modifications that
are reasonable, which is right. What is wrong is paying lawyers to
argue over what is reasonable.

I'm afraid I would strongly disagree. While in principle it should
seem easy to determine what constitutes "reasonable" it isn't always
clear cut. And it can have significant benefits for the disabled
community. For example, the charity I work for took a case against
GNER on behalf of a disabled client which resulted in them changing
their disabled passenger policy. I rather doubt that would have
happened if one of my fellow lawyers had not been involved.

LOL! Yeah, well a lawyer would say that, wouldn't they? The harsh
reality is that such improvements cost money, which, of course, LUL
will have considerably less of if they have to contest frivolous legal
actions brought by greedy and/or trouble-causing whingers.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk