Old October 6th 13, 02:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default Driverless Trains

On 06/10/2013 14:06, tim...... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message

"tim......" wrote:
wrote in message
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ditioning.html

what's all the bolliox about no connecting door, like Siemens have
just invented this.

Other countries have had this for ages

Yes, but they've never been available on our small diameter Tube trains.

I don't see why "our" is significant.

People wanting to get around London generally won't care about elsewhere.

Maybe TfL could try this approach? "We've shut down the Piccadilly line.
People trying to get to Heathrow shouldn't be upset, after all there is
a perfectly good metro in Copenhagen".

If you are trying to say it isn't available on small diameter Tube
trains, then you are wrong

Copenhagen has them and that is most definitely not a large profile tunnel

It's not London tube profile either, from what I remember. More like DLR.

So what's new here, other than it being new to the UK?

On that basis the newspapers may as well not report anything - what is
new apart from the new stuff? (in the specific case of the Daily Mail,
them choosing not to report anything ever again might not be a bad thing).

It is a proposal for a brand new model of train, meeting requirements
which are unique to London in a way which has not been done before.

You need articulated trains to make it possible with narrow body shells.

But that's not new either.

All we have here is current technology being brought to the UK 10 years
(plus) after other countries have got it

what's to shout about (from a technology pov)?

Nowt. Railways were pretty much sorted by about 1830, so nothing to see,
move along now.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK