Old October 8th 13, 07:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Colin McKenzie Colin McKenzie is offline

Default The Economist on the Overground

On Sun, 06 Oct 2013 18:18:56 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:
I'd be tempted to go for a four map approach -

- tube map which just shows LU and DLR.
- TfL rail services map which shows LU, DLR, Overground, Crossrail,
other devolved rail services
- an updated version of the Oyster rail services map which shows all
rail services but with a focus on the terminal they run from.
- a full Rail services map which shows the service patterns run on the
respective networks. This would not be a simple map but it would at
least show the service structure and who runs it. This will be
important with the multiple service patterns through Crossrail and
Thameslink and the residual SWT, Southern and South Eastern routes.

Personally, I think two would be enough. As others have said, I'm not very
interested in who runs which service, unless it affects the ticket I need.

The map I would find most useful is a 'turn up and go' map, showing all
lines and stations with a train at least every 10 minutes throughout the
day. Most people use the tube map as the nearest available approximation
to this, but this misses out some very useful national rail services and
includes some low-frequency tube branches. If the map were popular it
would give an incentive to companies to run more frequent or more regular
services. It should probably exclude anything Oyster isn't valid on.

The other map would be the comprehensive map showing all services, ideally
with some indication of frequencies and journey times.

Colin McKenzie

--
Cycling in the UK is about as safe as walking, and helmets don't make it
safer. Make an informed choice - visit www.cyclehelmets.org.