Old October 27th 13, 07:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Robin[_4_] Robin[_4_] is offline

Default Storm St Jude...

I understand the need for tracks to be checked for damage / fallen
trees but this does all seem a bit OTT.

Faced with 2 options - eg:

a. say we'll try to tun trains as normal but there may be severe
delays/cancellations then get loads of complaints when some trains are
delayed/cancelled; or
b. announce there'll be no trains until (say) 09:00 because of the
severe weather, and get some (few) complaints from the few who really
wanted to get to work etc but brush them off on the basis of the
prioirty given to safety (and trust the punters will never know if it
turns out many trains could have run sooner).

I don't blame managers for going for (b). I think it's a consequence of
the way most British people expect zero risk and take zero persoanl
responsibility.

But then I'm a grumpy old man who sees nothing wrong with unmanned level
crossings without gates
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid