Old April 9th 04, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Stephen Furley Stephen Furley is offline

Default New York's PATH meeting this Wednesday website

"bob" wrote in message
om...
Even without signage, those who rode the Tubes could feel the
"missing" tunnels. One characteristic of the Tubes is the extremely
sharp narrow radius turns which cause lurching and noise.

The most noticeable are the junctions in Jersey City [from Exchange
Place and Journal Square to Pavonia Newport and from Hoboken and
Pavonia Newport to Christopher Street] but even in Manhattan, such as
leaving 9th Street bound northwards at the aborted tunnel to the East
Side. On the section from the uptown tunnel to Hoboken you pass
through three turns which sometimes seem to be right angled!

There's more info on the Tubes / PATH at my Hudson Tubes website at
http://www.hudsoncity.net/tubes/gatewaytubepage.html .

Yes, the last time I was there, just a year ago, I stood at the front of a
Path train, and looked out of the front window as we went round the curves.