Old April 9th 04, 11:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Bob Watt Bob Watt is offline

Default New York's PATH meeting this Wednesday

On 09/04/2004 12:26, in article ,
"Stephen Furley" wrote:

That's it. I don't know anything about it. where was it, and when did it
close? Newark Penn seems to have undergone some major reconstruction in the
'30s, judging by the style of the builnings; was the H&M diverted there
then?

Newark Penn was opened in June 1937, and H&M trains operated there from June
20. By 1974 there wasn't any trace of Park Place terminal, although you
could pinpoint it to within a block or so by the orientation of the
swing-bridge when shut.

Between Newark and Juornal Square the line crosses two rivers, which of
these is the Passaic, and what is the other. There are massive bridges
crossing both of these rivers, which obviously opened at one time, but I
don't think they do now. Where was Manhattan Transfer, and whos trains
served it?

The Passaic is at the New York end of Newark Penn; the other river is the
Hackensack, much nearer Jersey City.

Manhattan Transfer was about 1 - 1.5 miles East of the present-day Harrison
stop on PATH. It was served by H&M and Pennsylvania RR trains. If Hudson
tower is still there, alongside PATH, that will give you the exact location
- it used to be tower S, at the East end of Manhattan Transfer.

Manhattan Transfer existed to enable interchange between PRR trains and H&M,
and was also the place where electrics replaced steam for the run into Penn
station in NYC. It opened in 1910, and closed June 20, 1937. Like Dovey
Jct., it had no road access whatever.

I didn't see any large-scale models, but there are two large wood and glass
cases, one in the waiting room, and the orher as you walk down the right
side of the station towards one of the Path entrances, which collect money
for charity. I dropped a few coins in as I walked past, but didn't look
closely. I think they had model railways in them. I'll have a better look
when I'm there.

The large-scale models were high up on the walls, about 30 ft. up.

If you can find a copy of "Rails Under The Mighty Hudson" (Brian J Cudahy,
Stephen Greene Press, 1975) it will answer many questions about H&M/PATH
history.