Old November 4th 13, 07:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default Countdown and Bus Diversions

On 03/11/2013 20:53, Paul Corfield wrote:

You might or might not be amazed at the numbers of people who do not
see the stop closed "hats" that are placed over bus stop flags or the
great big yellow panel inserts saying "stop closed". Similarly the
numbers of people who are unable to spot that no buses are running on
a bit of road. They'll happily sit for ages and ages and not realise a
single bus has not passed them for ages because of a diversion or
accident. I've told umpteen people that no buses were running in such
circumstances and they've been both grateful and surprised. This was
before the advent of mobile countdown info.

I've just been to sunny Bishop Auckland. Having spent too long in
London, I assumed the town's bus station would probably have some
timetables on display... and/or a network map... and/or an overview of
which bus routes routes use which stands at the bus station.

I found my destination's website on my phone, and it suggested using bus
route 50, so I Googled it and downloaded the timetable from the Arriva
website. Having failed to identify any on the ground evidence of a route
50, I tried going in via the front page of the Arriva website, and found
the service has been withdrawn, but the timetable is still live on the
website.

As a result, I gave up. I hope Mrs Merkel misses the money from my fare...
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK