Old April 10th 04, 06:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london
James James is offline

Default Subway (New York) vs Underground (London) [Quite long]

I was very impressed by the extending platform edges on the curved
platforms at South Ferry, but was not impressed by the fact that the
rear 5 coaches (of 10) do not fit into the station and there is no
passenger connection between units 5 and 6. Anyone who could not read
the English posters might have difficulty there as the muffled
announcement did not help, and the staff made no effort to detrain
people in the wrong carrages at the previous station. I realised in
time, but there were still people in my carrage as I left and legged
it along the platform. The station is on a loop so anyone in the wrong
carrages will just get returned to the previous station.

This is a very old problem and one that has been exacerbated by the newer
subway cars that do not allow free passage between the rear cars and the
forward ones because the conductor's cab in the middle blocks passage.

The last time I was in New York (in October 2003) I was in car 5 and the
conductor made lots of very clear announcements in the previous station. Then
as the train neared South Ferry, he made another announcement and opened the
door between his cab and the 5th and 6th cars so that those who were in the
rear part of the train could get into the front to exit.

The practice of the C/R opening the cab door at South Ferry has been
banned. Any C/R caught doing that will earn a trip to Jay St.

The really irritating thing is that the 6th car actually platforms at
SF, but, as the doors can't be isolated, you can't get out.

I could see a case for putting signs at the downtown end of the uptown
side (if you get what I mean!) of Rector St station reading "South
Ferry", as it's not a long walk and is infinitely preferable to
exiting the system and paying another $2 to enter on the downtown
side. Tourists often don't realise quite how close IRT stops really
are.