Old November 21st 13, 11:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Proposal - every Tube ticket office to close by 2015

In article , (Mizter T) wrote:

On 21/11/2013 21:38, Scott wrote:

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 21:54:12 +0100, Neil Williams
[snip]
I don't think the Tube needs ticket offices, rather it needs staff on
the floor helping with things. German systems are often near enough
completely unstaffed. So I broadly support the idea.

I take it Oyster cards will still be available at retail outlets; also
the ability to add value to them. Will visitors and others you be
able to buy an Oyster card at NR main termini, either a the (NR)
ticket office or at a shop there, and at Heathrow etc?

There's no suggestion whatsoever that Oyster cards are to disappear
from the scene. So Oyster cards should continue to be available from
shops as they are now - and they're already available for vending
from Tube ticket machines (at least one machine in each station).

Really? I've never noticed one at East |Putney. And the ticket stop outside
shuts long before the end of service.

I can't help but think that a lack of Tube ticket offices at main NR
termini and other arrival points (Heathrow, VCS etc) just isn't very
visitor friendly though - however much TfL might try and push Visitor
Oyster cards to visitors before they arrive in London, people are
just going to turn up and expect to sort it on arrival. (CPCs may be
a solution for some of those visitors, but not all.)

Agree. I found Berlin a little bewildering for visitors to get going on the
U & S Bahn.

--
Colin Rosenstiel