Old November 25th 13, 04:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim...... tim...... is offline

Default Proposal - every Tube ticket office to close by 2015

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
.net...
On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 16:03:41 +0100, "tim......"
wrote:
no Oyster requires you to own a one time purchase card which has

limited
supply outlets

Now issued at ticket machines and newsagents, no?

not sure what you mean

just because you can get an Oyster at the machine doesn't make it is useful
ticket for someone who wants to make a single journey. The 5 pound deposit
makes that completely impractical

German transit systems let you buy a paper ticket for immediate

travel, from
thirs party agents

Not in Hamburg.
Are you sure

Yes.

The you are wrong as I've just checked

there is a long list of "newsagent" type outlets listed on the website that
sell tickets for immediate travel. Though you are right that they don't
have paper strip tickets and now have a smart card, but paper single trip
and day tickets seem to be still available.

and you seem to be able to print at home. I didn't actually get as far as
buying the ticket but it seems unlikely they are going to deliver a 1.36
ticket to me.

and then there's the "handy ticket" but I wouldn't like to encourage
transport authorities to use this method as it usually isn't very friendly
for foreigners

Long time since I was there but I'm sure that they had strip cards

No, they do not and never did. Some German cities do though.

Every (large) germen city that I have ever worked in has had some sort of
"Carnet" system. They aren't a rarity

tim