Old December 3rd 13, 04:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim...... tim...... is offline

Default Proposal - every Tube ticket office to close by 2015

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 19:44:35 on Mon, 2 Dec 2013,
Phil remarked:
In most other countries I expect they would be unavailable and it
would just be a "tourist tax". Or a city tax would be charged on
hotel rooms and a free ticket issued for everyone staying.

I wonder if, say, a £3 per day flat-rate fee on hotel rooms and give
everyone a free Z1-2 travelcard would do the trick - not everyone will
use
it but it solves the problem for the rest.

You are assuming everyone staying in a hotel is an occasional
tourist. Many are regular visitors who, like me, already have an oyster
card and stay overnight after a concert or a show. They will not take
kindly to having to pay again for public transport.

And in another place:

"The 24-hour tube will boost weekend departures from Heathrow and hit
companies selling holiday 'add-ons', claims an operator.

Proposals for a 24-hour Tube service on Friday and Saturday nights from
2015 was announced by Transport for London last month.

But loveholidays.com claims 'extras' like airport parking or overnight
hotels are likely to suffer, as demand will drop.

Rubbish

The average person who uses service like that has to make a journey much
longer than is possible on the underground

If your destination is Milton Keynes, for example, it's no good that you can
get to Euston if there aren't any onward trains

tim

It also believes that Heathrow will become the preferred airport for
passengers, as it is the only London/South East airport on a Tube line.

Al Francis from loveholidays.com says: "People will be more willing to
take flights at 'unsociable' times because the 24-hour Tube service will
mean it will be easier to get across London to and from the airport.

"The losers will be 'holiday extras'. With a 24-hour Tube service, people
are less likely to need airport parking or book an airport hotel."