Old December 3rd 13, 04:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
tim...... tim...... is offline

Default Proposal - every Tube ticket office to close by 2015

"Recliner" wrote in message
Aurora wrote:
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 09:08:44 -0600,
wrote:

In article ,
(David Cantrell) wrote:

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 05:55:11PM +0000,
d wrote:

He's probably one of those people who thinks because HE never needs
a particular service, no one else ever will either.

And for people like my blind mother, there will still be staff
available
to help her buy a ticket.

I say good riddance to ticket offices, despite my own mother not being
able to use the machines, provided that they still provide some way of
dealing with Oyster errors at stations.

You mean they introduce ways of dealing with Oyster errors at stations?
Most
problems I ever have they (including ticket office staff) say "ring the
helpline".

The outlying stations are of greater concern than the inner tube, and
sub-surface, stations. There needs to be a manned passimeter, and
someone watching the gate line, platforms etc. TfL should also
consider encouraging newsstands and cafes.

A manned passimeter? Not for the last few decades, the there hasn't! And
it's rare to have a manned presence on the platforms on quieter stations.

If TfL need to save money they would do better to look at more
unmanned trains. Is there room for productivity increases?

They won't have less than one member of staff on a train, so no savings
there.

why not

Other automated lines do (or don't whichever way you look at it!)

tim