Old December 4th 13, 09:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Richard J.[_3_] Richard J.[_3_] is offline

Default Proposal - every Tube ticket office to close by 2015

Recliner wrote on 04 December 2013 20:27:55 ...
John Levine wrote:
They won't have less than one member of staff on a train, so no savings
there.

Hmmn. What does the Paris Metro know that TfL doesn't?

How to build tunnels with walkways?

I think only line 14 in Paris has walkways, but generally all Paris
Métro tunnels are double-track, except for a few short lenths of
single-track tunnel. This means that it's easy to gain access to a
failed train by ladders/steps from the adjacent track, or by driving a
train on that track, stopping opposite the failed train, and using
boards to bridge the gap between the trains.

On LU deep tubes, any evacuation has to take place via the front or rear
end of the train (the 'M' door), and external help can only reach
passengers via those doors. In theory, that could all be done without a
staff member being on the train, but I guess it's felt that in such a
constrained environment there is value in having someone on the train.

There was an interesting report in Le Parisien newspaper last month that
said that dwell times had reduced on line 1 since it became driverless,
as passengers had become more disciplined because they knew there wasn't
a driver to hold the doors open for a bit longer if they were slow in
boarding.
--
Richard J.