Old December 15th 13, 07:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Cheaper 'Advance' tickets on the Stansted Express - £12 each way

In message , at 15:00:18
on Sat, 14 Dec 2013, remarked:
They were using 3-car on the Peterborough-Ipswich too (quite a step up
from when the service was run with a dogbox). Today I'll try to look
out for specific trains.

All three (CambridgeNorwich and PeterboroughIpswich) just now were
3-car. So the 2-car I've been seeing all week do seem to be the odd
ones out, if this keeps up all day.

The 2-car units are meant for the Cambridge-Ipswich service these days. Use
of 3-car units on Peterborough-Ipswich is normal.

Yes, I know. What was interesting me is why there was a 2-car unit
passing Ely regularly last week (I didn't check which route, although my
Ely-Cambridge on friday was 2-car). I noticed that one of yesterday's
3-car had advertising vinyls on it, perhaps it was away having that
done.

They used to carry on to Colchester or Liverpool St.

For a few years, yes. But they changed their mind. Although it appears
they still stable them in Colchester because the first/last trains work
there rather than Ipswich.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/trai...12/15/advanced
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/trai...12/15/advanced

The ending of services into Liverpool St (From Lowestoft if not from
Peterborough) released enough 3-car units to cascade them to the
Cambridge-Norwich service and 2-car units to end the use of single car
trains on Cambridge-Ipswich.

And of course it makes Liverpool St-Ipswich 'all electric' again. I
expect these changes were done when some extra EMUs arrived (probably
321's cascaded from London Midland) a couple of years ago.