Old December 22nd 13, 07:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Aurora Aurora is offline

Default Proposal - every Tube ticket office to close by 2015

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 08:22:53 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message

, at 15:24:49 on Thu, 12 Dec 2013, Recliner
remarked:
There were more interesting and useful things to spend time
learning in school than some **** poor plays by a dead 16th century
playwrite.

That's English Literature, a completely different subject.

In my day (late 90s), Shakespeare was compulsory in both English
Language and Literature. Helpfully that meant with a well chosen title,
you could submit the same essay as coursework for both subjects.

That was handy! I can't say I ever enjoyed Shakespeare, and once I got my
O level in English Literature in the 1960s, I never read or watched a
Shakespeare play again. I felt the same about poetry.

I didn't like Shakespeare taught exclusively from a book; these days
it's so easy to see it on film (feature or made-for-TV) that it must
transform the experience for the schoolkids. You could probably learn as
much from watching the film twice as a whole year of staring at pages.

(That's assuming the skill they are teaching isn't the ability to

School killed Shakespeare for me. It was many years before I came to
appreciate the depth of his work. Now I wish I could spend more time
in it. Burton performing Hamlet is something I enjoy on DVD.
--

http://www.991fmtalk.com/ The DMZ in Reno