Old January 2nd 14, 07:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Oyster refund at LRH

On 02/01/2014 20:05, Mizter T wrote:

They might not have a chipped passport yet. (Or have no passport - the
gates don't work with Euro national identity cards.)

Can't be many non-chip UK passports left now.

British passports with chips were introduced in March 2006, according to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biometric_passport#Countries_using_biometric_passp orts

So another two years and two months before the last non-chipped British
passports expire (and that's excluding all the inevitable exceptions -
I've a feeling that Brit passports issued by embassies overseas weren't
issued with chips until a later date).

From a better source - the then IPS (now HM Passport Office):
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/118598/biometric-passports-readers.pdf

---quote---
The first e-passport was issued by our central production facility on
the 6th March 2006. These e-passports introduced a new design with
additional security features, including a chip with the holder’s facial
biometric. The passport showed the personal details at the back page
with the chip and antenna visible on observation page. They were
introduced gradually throughout 2006. This mirrored the introduction of
e-passports in over 40 other countries and ensured the UK remained
within the US visa waiver scheme.
---/quote---

So another three years till non-chipped British passports expire. (One
of them being mine!)