Old January 2nd 14, 08:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim...... tim...... is offline

Default Oyster refund at LRH

"Clive Page" wrote in message
On 02/01/2014 16:24, tim...... wrote:

If TfL are expecting your average foreign tourist to start paying for
tickets using "pay wave" credit cards I think that they are tilting at
windmills

I walk from St.Pancras to King's Cross tube station quite frequently and
continue to be surprised at the number of arrivals from Eurostar who head
straight to the enormously long queue for the ticket office, when there
are plenty of ticket machines with no queue or only a small one.

It could be that some of them are conditioned by the near impossibility of
using ticket machines at stations in France (and for that matter in the
Netherlands) if you are a non-native. I recall arriving at the RER
station in Charles de Gaulle a few years ago and finding that the ticket
machines accepted neither UK credit cards nor Euro notes. I was able to
avoid the extremely long queue only by being able to feed in at least two
dozen small coins (which fortunately I had left over from a previous
trip).

You only have to look at the number of suitably "qualified" individuals
who don't go through the self service passport check (at no risk and
sometimes considerable time cost) to see how "frightened" the average
person is of such technology

Well my experience of these things at airports is that they only recognise
my face or iris about one time out of three, and that if it fails I have
to queue up for the manned barrier anyway after a few minutes, so that on
average there is little or no time saving.

Really?

Whenever I watch the "helpers" on the self service q they seem to go out of
their way not to reject people (with a valid chip pp) back into the "normal
q,

It's nothing to do with "fright": if the technology gets better maybe more
of us will use them. I'm told that the new-fangled facial recognition
systems are slightly better than the old iris scanners, but my experience
has not provided me with much evidence of that so far.

--
Clive Page