Old January 5th 14, 03:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Happy and Prosperous 2014 to all

In message , at 15:37:39 on Sun, 5
Jan 2014, Robin9 remarked:
In "my day" The Flying Scotsman was a loco-hauled 12 coach train with an
extra coach added on Fridays. It did leave from platform 1. How long is
the equivalent train today? My point is that if in those B.R. days the
train had been reduced to eight coaches, it too would have been
massively overcrowded.

The 10am northbound currently seems to be called the "Northern Lights"
and goes to Aberdeen. So will be an HST, most of which probably have 7
passenger cars. But these days there are many more other trains between
London and Scotland to catch; not just the 10am.

The Cambridge Buffet Express was a loco-hauled five coach train. FCC
trains are frequently only four coaches long.

Peak hour Cambridge trains are 12-car currently.