Old January 6th 14, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Michael R N Dolbear Michael R N Dolbear is offline

Default Contactless Cards was Oyster refund at LRH

"Neil Williams" wrote

I don't see the few seconds saved as of any significance. It might

be of some benefit when a whole host of people were buying the same thing
and nothing else.

It is about volume - shop in ALDI and see how fast their checkout

operators are and you will see why it is significant.

They waste a few seconds by being slow to press the "customer does not
require cashback" key so I think they are much the same as other
supermarkets though fewer coupons and car park tickets, and no loyalty cards
do help.

I recall from way back a planning document that gave the average time to pay
in cash and by card - are there more recent statistics ?

Bus travel, where the bus is delayed while a queue of people pay, is

also a significant application.

Agreed, but that exactly matches my 'buying the same thing' remark.

--
Mike D