Old January 6th 14, 01:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Contactless Cards was Oyster refund at LRH

In message , at 14:19:32 on Mon, 6 Jan
2014, Michael R N Dolbear remarked:
It is about volume - shop in ALDI and see how fast their checkout
operators are and you will see why it is significant.

They waste a few seconds by being slow to press the "customer does not
require cashback" key so I think they are much the same as other
supermarkets though fewer coupons and car park tickets, and no loyalty
cards do help.

One of the main ways they are quicker is by refraining from extended
chats with customers about their mutual social lives.

Round here Waitrose is one of the worst where it seems every customer is
a long lost friend of the cashier and they absolutely *have* to catch up
with the local gossip.

I was quite taken aback a couple of weeks ago at Aldi when a checkout
operator spoke for the first time I can recall, and asked me if I was
"going to be watching the game" later that evening. I muttered something
about not being that interested in cricket (the test match series being
the only 'game' I knew taking place at the time) and left.