Old January 13th 14, 12:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
Denis McMahon[_4_] Denis McMahon[_4_] is offline

Default Local Government Structures

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 03:11:53 +0000, Charles Ellson wrote:

-Scotland would be chucked out of the EU (no competent ruling or
decision actually exists but e.g. Germany did not have to leave the EU
when re-forming as the EU just tailored appropriate arrangements) etc.
etc.

My understanding of the EU position, which is a very difficult read as
this would be the first split of an existing EU member state so there is
no precedent, is that the existing state (E,W&NI) would remain in the EU,
but that the breakaway state (Scotland) would have to apply for EU
membership.

I believe part of reasoning behind this is that the rest of the Schengen /
Euro EU see this as a way of imposing Schengen / Euro on the UK (E,W&NI),
because Scotland will be required as a new entrant to commit to both
Schengen and the Euro. This in turn means that England will have to close
the border with Scotland and trade with Scotland will become a Euro /
Sterling exchange if the UK (E,W&NI) wishes to remain outside of Schengen
and retain Sterling.

In other words, Salmond is being played as a pawn by the Schengen / Euro
block of the EC in an attempt to make Westminster play on their terms.

But this is only my belief. I'm sure there are those who are more
politically aware than I who will be amongst the first to state that such
machinations would never be dreamt of by the Euro / Schengen block in the
EU.

--
Denis McMahon,