Old January 23rd 14, 09:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Underground 'to stay open' during strikes

"tim......" wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 18:36:30 +0100, "tim......"
wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
From
http://railnews.mobi/news/2014/01/23...en-during.html

TWO strikes on London Underground called in protest at plans to close the
system's ticket offices will be met by the deployment of hundreds of
'Ambassadors', Transport for London said.

I really do think that TfL are being somewhat premature with this plan.

They could get an awful lot of egg on their face if they dispense with
hundreds of ticket office staff only to find that punters don't change their
habits and switch to the "automatic" alternative with queues at the ticket
machines becoming so catastrophic that they have to open them again

Whatever happened to the concept of a *trial*

We've has a 'trial' for several years now. Outside central London,
most ticket offices are *already* closed for most of the time anyway.
You still don't see queues at the ticket machines.

what about the ones in the centre which are busy

Some of those will still have an open travel info office. I'm not sure how
much the peripatetic staff with iPads will be able to do.