Old March 4th 14, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tony Dragon Tony Dragon is offline

Default 3 or more buses at a stop - what should happen?

On 03/03/2014 02:24, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:
"Peter Lawrence" wrote

Does anyone know what a bus driver is instructed to do when he

approaches a stop and there are two or more buses stopped there already.

There is then little chance of an intending psssenger making a clear

signal or of the driver being able to see any signal made.

So, I show hope that

(a) he will stop even if no signal is seen.
(b) he will let passengers off and on when at the back of the queue, if
it is safe to do so.
(c) he will stop again shen he later reaches the stop sign, lest any
passengers have not been able to get to an earler stopping position.

I hope he will NOT decide there are no passengers for his bus and

overtake the stopped buses.

You can see this happening any time in stops in Eden Street,
Kingston-upon-Thames.

Usually different routes and the problem is mitigated by it being often
a first stop after starting from the bus station or a last stop before
the bus station for many of the routes. BUT both TfL and Surrey buses
share the stops or instructions may differ. For the buses I use "no
second stop" is usual and joining passengers are expected to walk up.

Add Surbiton to that, probably the same buses.

---