View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Old March 7th 14, 01:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster

First recorded activity at LondonBanter: May 2005
Default Overground Revenue Protection

[x-posted to utl]

On 07/03/2014 12:22, Chris Miles-Patrick Date wrote:
I've noticed London Overground have instigated a new technique to detect fare dodgers on the GOBLIN line.

Instead of the usual station entrance/exit blockades and between-station checks, they now do static on-platform and on-train checks prior to departure at Barking.

FYI, Barking is a c2c station, not Overground.

Firstly, two Travel Safe Officers (TSOs) stand at the staircase to platform 1 (Gospel Oak bay platform) and check tickets of pax. coming down the stairs from the concourse, another two TSOs stand at the ramp at the other end of the platform that allows access from the c2c/District Line platforms.

Secondly, just before the train is due to depart four TSOs jump on the train - one at each door, the conductor locks the train doors, the TSO do a revenue check of the train, the conductor then re-opens the doors to allow the TSOs get off, the guard then re-locks the doors and the train departs for Gospel Oak.

As much as I understand the need for revenue protection on a line that is almost wholly open stationed, I think the whole "locking the train doors and taking everyone hostage" scenario is a little far fetched.

Far fetched is normally a description given to a pie in the sky idea
that seems unlikely - in this case it's happening, and I dare say it's
probably fairly successful in (a) catching fare evaders and (b)
deterring people from considering evading their fare.

As a tactic, it sounds similar to what I saw happen on occasion on bendy
bus routes (though IIRC the doors were not shut, but RPIs both boarded
and checked all tickets whilst others stayed at the doors checking the
tickets/Oysters of all who disembarked).

In contrast, it sometimes seems like significant swathes of TOC-run
suburban rail services in London simply don't have any revenue
protection strategy, barring automatic gates at key stations (and
sometimes they're only in operation during morning and evening peaks).

On the same subject, I haven't seen the 'proper' Overground RPIs for almost a year on the GOBLIN line - it's almost 100% secured by Travel Safe Officers now. Have TfL gave the fully-fledged RPIs the sack as well as the NLL conductors?