Old March 10th 14, 12:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Overground Revenue Protection

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
19:50:23 on Sun, 9 Mar 2014,
remarked:
In contrast, it sometimes seems like significant swathes of TOC-run
suburban rail services in London simply don't have any revenue
protection strategy, barring automatic gates at key stations (and
sometimes they're only in operation during morning and evening
peaks).

The opposite at Cambridge at present. The gates are open at peak hours
at the behest of the ORR because passenger volumes are so high.

The current gates at Cambridge are typical of those shoe-horned into
an unsuitable location just to tick a box. Perhaps the redeveloped
station will have more room, more gates, and fewer such episodes.

That's Greater Anglia's plan, yes. The gates were unstaffed at 23:45
tonight.

I'd be surprised if they were staffed at that hour, even during the
week. Other busy stations where I've experienced gates seem to have
them locked open by mid-evening, although perhaps Cambridge is a bit
more vibrant than average later into the night.

Until recently the gates were working whichever train I got home at night. I
seem to exit the station with only one or two trains still on the departure
screen all too often. The ORR ruling is quite recent so maybe they reduced
some staff hours.

--
Colin Rosenstiel