Old March 13th 14, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Plans approved to open Mail Rail 'secret Tube' as ride

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at 04:56:13 on Thu, 13 Mar 2014, Recliner remarked:
Technology helps Royal Mail - mots recently by mapping out all the
delivery points so that rounds can be balanced. Then there's the
postcodes and automatic sorting. None of this, however, is an excuse to
deliver so late in the day.

Doesn't it have something to with potties now being full-time workers? In
the past, they finished their postal rounds as early as possible so they
could go on to their day jobs. Now, they come back and do another round (or
have another consignment delivered to them).

They still finish by about 2pm though (unless they have overtime doing a
second round for an absentee).

But it explains why deliveries are much later now than the previous first
post (of two or more). Effectively, they work an eight hour day, starting
at about 6:30am in the local sorting office.

Are you saying I'm just unlucky in getting my post at noon (consistently
over the last three places I've lived), rather than at perhaps 8am, by
being on the 'wrong end' of the route?

Probably. My M-F mail typically arrives before 10am, and Saturdays around
9am. But you do get the odd day when it's much later. I'm not near the mail
depot, so I'm sure some people get theirs much earlier.