Old March 16th 14, 06:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Tim Roll-Pickering[_2_] Tim Roll-Pickering[_2_] is offline

Default Plans approved to open Mail Rail 'secret Tube' as ride

Roland Perry wrote:

That's one prospective use of the additional space at stations once TfL
shuts all ticket offices, isn't it?

Yes it is, but I wouldn't hold my breath that things would be there in
time for people to grab them on the way to work (unless they were also
there to not-be-grabbed on the way home the previous day).

This is the main problem with the Royal Mail's current business model:
what they deliver "today" is generally too late for the normally employed
to do anything about it until "tomorrow".

True though usually when I've come in mid morning to discover I missed a
package I've been able to get it from the sorting office that day, providing
I leave an hour from the time on the card. But then our sorting office,
which closes at lunchtime, is just a couple of corners away. Short of
evening openings, doubtless at the cost of the early morning, pre-commute
ones, I'm not sure what the solution would be for a wider range of people.

Of course the couriers are mixed here - they usually do afternoon openings
but evenings and Saturdays are hit and mix, plus there's the difficulty of
physically accessing them. My favourite was on the tip of the North
Greenwich pennisular (I think it's no longer there) where I found the
pedestrian layout from the tube station next to impossible to allow me to
walk to it and I had to get a bus where the last stop before the Blackwall
tunnel was only a third of the distance, causing me to cross the river more
than needed.

--
My blog: http://adf.ly/4hi4c