Old April 4th 14, 12:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Crossrail to Reading

In article ,

*Subject:* London Crossrail to Reading
*From:* Paul Corfield
*Date:* Fri, 04 Apr 2014 11:00:13 +0100

On Fri, 4 Apr 2014 10:26:35 +0100, "Peter Masson"
wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
.. .

On Thu, 03 Apr 2014 18:34:26 -0500,

wrote:

I seem to remember running into that problem trying to do Highbury

and
Islington to Clapham Junction too.

You shouldn't run in to that problem because there are only 3 fares.

The default fare is on the TfL tariff and is priced avoiding Zone 1
regardless of which way round you go - via Peckham or via Willesden.
As there are through trains there is no way that TfL can determine
which route you took which is why the Overground fare is route
agnostic for Highbury - Clapham Junction.

Even though, if you go via Peckham Rye you do go through Zone 1 at
Shoreditch High Street.

Absolutely. Short of checking you at precisely the moment the train
is in zone 1 what can they do? Providing you have touched in and have
a positive PAYG balance or a valid Travelcard and positive PAYG
balance what can they do? You're entirely within the rules and it's
TfL's decision to have one fare on Overground services regardless of
direction. It's impossible to impose an intermediate validation
requirement when there is a through train service.

You would be in trouble if you had a paper Travelcard season without
Zone 1 on it and were checked while within Zone 1. Clearly the system
cannot charge you an extension fare on exit when using paper tickets.
It's irrelevant with One Day Travelcards as there no versions which
exclude Zone 1.

If you travel from Highbury to Wandsworth Road then that is priced via
Zone 1 as they assume you travel via Peckham. The only cheaper
alternative is to travel via Stratford and touching the pink validator
there and then resuming the ELL at Whitechapel or Canada Water (no
requirement to touch there as, of course, you could simply jump off an
overground train, touch, and get back on having gone via SHS anyway!).

That's the trouble. I was actually going to Putney, not Clapham Junction I
now recall, and that has no Highbury fare not via Zone 1 even though that
was the way I went. I'd touched the pink validator at Willesden Junction too.

--
Colin Rosenstiel