Old April 5th 14, 12:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Crossrail to Reading

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Fri, 04 Apr 2014 18:22:31 -0500,

wrote:

Are you saying that touching the pink validator at Willesden Junction
wouldn't be good enough to prove a not-via-Zone 1 route between Highbury
& Islington and East Putney? How on earth are passengers meant to know
they have to touch a particular pink validator?

Yes that is exactly what I am saying.

TfL have defined the default and alternative routes and fares in the
Single Fare Finder. Some origin and destination pairs only have one
default fare. Clearly adjacent stations or all stations in zone 1
will typically have just 1 fare. As you spread out from Zone 1 and in
particular touch where the Overground network comes into play then the
number of routes can increase. If you travel through Zone 1 on PAYG
and travel on NR routes and NR termini and change to the tube then
you'll pay a higher fare than if just using the tube network was an
option. As I have shown in previous posts even where route options
exist on the rail network TfL may not have specified any alternative
fares. This means you're charged for Zone 1 even if you do not travel
through it.

Passengers have to check the single fare finder to avoid falling foul
of the system. You must comply with the route and validation
requirements are set out by TfL - especially if you want to pay a
lower fare.

I have lost count of the times when I have had to check using a
smartphone whether the route I wanted to take, even when in the zones
I hold on my Oyster Card, was valid and what the validation rules
were. The old TfL website was very smartphone unfriendly on the Single
Fares Finder and it could be very frustrating trying to find the
requisite information. I have yet to test out the new site whilst "on
the move". Ironically the new Fares Finder does not have Wandsworth
Road Overground station in it.

If you have a Travelcard valid in Zone 1 then route options tend not
to be an issue. If you are using PAYG and are willing to pay for Zone
1 then there's nothing to worry about.

But why does touching on the pink validator at Willesden Junction not prove
a route avoiding zone 1 has been used between Highbury and Islington and
Clapham Junction? I thought that was the point of pink validators?

--
Colin Rosenstiel