Old April 22nd 14, 03:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Oyster: still an unreliable rip-off

In message , at 16:04:07 on
Tue, 22 Apr 2014, Paul Corfield remarked:
I've used Oyster for years - PAYG and combined with a Travelcard. I
have had one mischarge in all that time which I queried and which was
resolved within minutes.

Others have not been so lucky (either avoiding mischarges or getting it
resolved quickly).

I didn't say they hadn't. I was merely relating my experience which
is not trouble free, just very low levels of trouble.

You probably understand the way it works rather better than most.

I do keep an eye on my charges as I travel.

An important question is "should that be necessary". Or perhaps "are we
surprised we need to do it", when 'advances' in a wide range of utility
billing merely gives the consumer ever more things to have to check up
on.

I look forward to someone inventing a fool proof fares system for
London that generate the same level of income and cope with the
financial demands for premium payments for TOC franchises. That rules
out flat fares before anyone suggests that!

There's a difference between the fares structure and the fare collecting
mechanism. Perhaps it's a bit like the old adage: "Good/Fast/Cheap, you
can only pick two".