Old April 16th 04, 11:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Annabel Smyth Annabel Smyth is offline

Default Bits of history

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 at 05:39:57, Solar Penguin
wrote:

The reason the tram depot was located by Telford Ave was that this was
the first stretch of the tramway to be motorised in back Victorian times.
Horse-drawn trams would come from central London to the start of
Brixton Hill, where they would be removed and a cable-car locomotive
attached. This would haul the trams over Brixton Hill and Streatham
Hill, and then be replaced with fresh horses for the rest of the journey.

Thanks, and thanks James. I must take to carrying an A-Z about with me
for those occasions when I go home by non-standard routes!
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 8 March 2004