Old April 24th 14, 11:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster: still an unreliable rip-off

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 06:15:39PM +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 14:16:46 +0100, David Cantrell
wrote:
On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 02:49:09PM +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:
I've used Oyster for years - PAYG and combined with a Travelcard. I
have had one mischarge in all that time which I queried and which was
resolved within minutes. I do keep an eye on my charges as I travel.

That you know that you should keep an eye on it makes you unusual.

I suspect I am not that unusual in keeping track of Oyster
transactions. I see an awful lot of people paying attention to the
displays on bus ticket machines when they've tapped their Oyster Card.
I expect they're doing that for a reason rather than for fun.

To me that looks like people checking to see whether the silly thing
registered their card at all given how hard it is to distinguish the
bleeps from all the other noises coming from peoples' phones and over
the background noise of shouting chavs, screaming children, and honking
white van drivers.

--
David Cantrell | even more awesome than a panda-fur coat

" In My Egotistical Opinion, most people's ... programs should be
indented six feet downward and covered with dirt. "
--Blair P. Houghton