Old April 24th 14, 11:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster: still an unreliable rip-off

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 08:51:18PM +0100, Richard wrote:

* Have it absolutely made certain that a barrier cannot open with the
card in an inconsistent state;

That can't be done until NR stations gain the ability to fix Oyster card
problems. It might also be incompatible with the desire to close tube
ticket offices.

No, I don't care why NR stations can't do this.

* Improve displays where possible to more easily see what is going on;

A very hard problem. Given that part of the idea behind Oyster is that
it gets people through the barrier area quicker than paper tickets,
they've constrained themselves to getting that information across in an
astonishingly short amount of time. It takes an appreciable fraction of
a second to move your gaze to a display and focus on it enough to read a
few characters.

Wow, my first sigquoting! I feel so special now!
-- Dan Sugalski