Old April 24th 14, 01:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

Default Oyster: still an unreliable rip-off

On Friday, 18 April 2014 16:56:11 UTC+1, David Cantrell wrote:
For the last few days I've been using a PAYG Oyster card instead of my

normal paper Travelcard.

I did one of my usual journeys - tube from Waterloo to Balham, then

train to Thornton Heath - on Wednesday evening. But the Oyster card

reader at Balham didn't work properly. The gate opened but didn't record

my touch-out, so I've got an unresolved journey.

TfL, despite knowing my email address because that's what I use to sign

in to their website to make sure they haven't ripped me off, couldn't be

bothered to notify me. I only know about the unresolved journey because

I don't trust Oyster and went and checked.

And of course I can't submit my claim for a refund using my normal web

browser which works on every other site. I have to use Firefox instead.

It remains to be seen whether I actually end up being charged the right

amount or not. And, of course, I have to use Oyster again to pick up my

refund. I didn't see any option on the website for "refund my credit

card" or "send me a cheque", they just blithely assume that I use Oyster

all the time, when in fact I was planning on getting a Travelcard

again on Tuesday and not using the trains at all this weekend.

More people are driven insane through religious hysteria than

by drinking alcohol. -- W C Fields

And now TfL want to replace Oyster with Barclay Debit / Credit Cards or whatever. This means that they can directly debit your card with the cost of a journey whether that cost is correct or not. Who will then have the responsibility to correct an unresolved journey for which the maximum free has been charged? And what if a user exceeds his / her credit limit on a card. If NR and TfL aren't that interested in correcting matters then I'm damned sure that the banks aren't. Overcharging and then refusing to refund is tantamount to deliberate fraud - but then the banks know how to do that anyway. But TfL have at least admitted that they make millions from overcharging on unresolved journeys yet still they are moving towards using 'contactless' bank cards. CJB.