Old April 25th 14, 08:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
David Walters David Walters is offline

Default Oyster: still an unreliable rip-off

On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 13:38:19 -0500, wrote:
In article ,

(David Walters) wrote:

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 10:47:36 -0500,
wrote:
Not useful, unless you're in the tiny minority that have memorised what
the fares should be and who know what their card balance is at all
times. And you still have to stop and bend down to see what it says
while the person behind is trying to push you through the gate because
they're not expecting you to stop and admire the scenery.

I think you exaggerate somewhat. The gates that tell are easy
enough to with minimal delay. Most in central London don't give out
the information though.

The older pneumatic gates should have a display on exit like the onein
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ter-Reader.jpg

I'm not sure they all have that display next to the touch pad. I think they
didn't use to.

I've not seen an exit gate without one. Too often I find an exit gate
where the display is broken or shows 'CLOSED'. Occasionally I've reported
it to the ticket line staff but they don't seem to care.