Old April 28th 14, 06:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
Hils[_3_] Hils[_3_] is offline

Default The Cost and Funding of Transit Systems

On 2014-04-26 18:47, d wrote:
On Sat, 26 Apr 2014 07:33:21 +0100
Martin Edwards wrote:
It is not widely known that, while the rest of the Civil Service is
headed by people from many universities, the Treasury is almost wholly
Oxbridge.

Doesn't surprise me. Most of the chinless wonders seem to float to the top.

Patronage and nepotism.

I wonder if any of them actually have economics or maths degrees or its
just a swathe of useless liberal arts degrees.

It doesn't much matter, it's only a jobclub for the aristocracy's
surplus offspring. (See also banks, BBC.)

All of the recent studies summarised in these links are also relevant to
the UK despite their apparent US slant:

http://press.princeton.edu/titles/10181.html

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...american-dream

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...concludes.html