Old April 28th 14, 12:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster: still an unreliable rip-off

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 10:47:36AM -0500, wrote:

I think you exaggerate somewhat. The gates that tell are easy enough to with
minimal delay. Most in central London don't give out the information though.

I do not.

I've decided to use Oyster for a month to see whether it's cheaper than
a Travelcard. This morning, I made a point of checking what the gate
said at Thornton Heath.

It said, when I entered the station:

Exit

number (number)

And this was displayed very low down so I could only see it clearly if I
stood back.

In Victorian times, when every man wore a beard the size of a yew,
Britain ruled the world. In the early 20th century, when the beard
was trimmed to a moustache, we scraped through two world wars but
lost an empire. Today, when Mach3 Turbo multi-blades are the norm,
our national pride derives largely from beating the Swedes at
Olympic cycling.

Grow a beard. Your country needs you.