Old April 28th 14, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster: still an unreliable rip-off

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 07:55:11PM +0100, Richard wrote:

Then I'll add another item to my "requirements", something I thought
of today and David Cantrell mentioned: make sure that NR stations can
do basic Oyster operations.

I've been banging on about this for years. Having them only available
from shops that aren't open when you need to travel and which can't be
seen from the station (and which also can't fix problems) is just silly.

There is, I think, only one system that
can, predictably the one made by Cubic. In its last days, APTIS could
do Oyster with the right extra hardware, but most of its replacements
couldn't. Fixing an unresolved journey and undoing a journey that was
started in error are the least NR should be able to do. Alternatively
give us a smartphone app to do it!

When I put in the refund claim that started this thread I could have
done it through a browser, as long as that browser didn't use Webkit. So
you can already do it if you have a crappy smartphone. There are
probably Oystery apps that have this feature too, although the one I use
for checking my journey history doesn't have it.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

Just because it is possible to do this sort of thing
in the English language doesn't mean it should be done