Old April 28th 14, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
Graeme Wall Graeme Wall is offline

Default The Cost and Funding of Transit Systems

On 2014-04-28 08:34, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 28/04/2014 07:41, Hils wrote:

It doesn't much matter, it's only a jobclub for the aristocracy's
surplus offspring. (See also banks, BBC.)

What's it like living in 1910?

Perhaps you missed the study showing that there was more social mobility
in Britain in the 12th century than there is in the 21st.

The best things that ever happened for social mobility in England were
the Black Death and the Battle of the Somme. Shall we have a rerun of them?

Black Death was 14th Century, not 12th. I don't know what study Mr Hils
is referring to.

The effect of the Somme (and WW1 casualties generally) is not quite so
clear cut. Proportionally far more officers were killed than private
soldiers[1]. What did cause major social upheaval was the employment of
thousands of women in what was considered to be male only professions.
Though that is not necessarily social mobility in the class war sense.

[1] I'm just glad my grandfather wasn't posted to his regiment in France
until 1st August. On the first day of the Somme offensive a month
earlier, every single one of the junior officers of his regiment were
killed.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail