Old April 16th 04, 11:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Helen Deborah Vecht Helen Deborah Vecht is offline

Default Disabled 'to sue for Tube access'

Annabel Smyth typed

Incidentally has anybody actually seen a wheelchair user on a bus yet?

I have, on about 4 occasions. Getting the bus close enough to the kerb
to use the exit doors was a problem, as were parked cars.

Ramp problems once led to a bus being taken out of service.

There have been times when the wheelchair users have been a little
aggressive regarding the difficulties boarding or alighting the buses.

As in the newsgroups, this has not endeared them to the others around.

I appreciate life with disability is a challenge, as I live with
increasing disability myself.

I haven't in this country, although I have in New York; the space
designed for them seems used by young mothers with pushchairs (Oh, how I
envy them; I so remember walking home *miles* in the rain because my
baby was asleep and I would have to wake her to get her out of her
pushchair to get on a bus.....).

The baby pushers are also sometimes a touch aggressive...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.