Old May 9th 14, 11:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Strike beating ideas

In message , at 12:01:24
on Fri, 9 May 2014, David Cantrell remarked:
I'm writing a short article on ways that small businesses in London can
cope better during strike days - eg pointing out free wifi on stations
with a long wait. Any suggestions gratefully received.

I suggest that they develop contingency plans for unexpected short
interruptions to normal business. That would cover tube strikes, the
road they're on being closed because a sewer collapsed, bad weather,
banking glitches, and so on. Really, tube strikes and other events that
have similar effects are *common events*. If you've not considered them
in your business plan you shouldn't be in business.

The difference between the sort of business continuity plan you mention,
and something for tube strike days, is that there's always an assumption
that you are one of the few organisations disrupted. For example, when
the twin towers fell, companies called in the grief counselling agency
they'd mentioned in their continuity plan; only to find them a trifle
over-booked.